Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bagpipes Cryin'

Some of the Marine moms on the message board have been talking about the songs that make us appreciate what our sons and daughters are doing and are particularly meaningful to us right now. Here's what some of the moms said:

God Bless The USA-Lee Greenwood
American Soldier-Toby Keith
My Wish-Rascal Flatts

My son and I danced to Mark Shultz' (Christian/Contemporary) Letter's from War for our Mother/Son Dance when he got married.

Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" Every time I hear it, I'm back at boot camp at the ceremony on family day. Tears streaming, heart bursting with pride and wanting so badly to get a hold of my son that I didn't know what do too.

Bumper of my SUV is always good!

The Eighth of November by Big & Rich is the song that my son came home and made me listen to. He told me that this was the song that made him decide to go ahead and join the Marines. The first time that I listened to it I cried, go figure.

Some Gave All - Billy Ray Cyrus

I remember the first time I heard 8th of November, I went to pieces! I literally would have to turn off the radio or tv or change the station for a long time. If I'm not mistaken it was while he was in Boot Camp and I was already an emotional train wreck (anybody else remember those days?) Looking back, Boot Camp seems like a walk in the park, but we're still hanging in here.

The song by John Michael Montgomery, "Letters from Home", was popular when my son was in boot camp. It would make me tear up with pride everytime I heard it. Same thing happens now every time I here a patriotic song.

I ALWAYS cry during the National Anthem - it IS the greatest American song! Living overseas has made me all the more grateful and proud to be American!


I really love "bagpipes cryin" by Rushlow Harris. Really great song, makes me cry everytime I hear it.


Here is the video for 8th of November by Big and Rich.



I had never heard of "Bagpipes Cryin'", so I did a search for it and found this video with the song.
Here are the lyrics:
Artist/Song name- Rushlow Harris- Bagpipes cryin' lyrics

Stumbled across an old green box
in my granddaddy's house
Inside was a cross
some old dog tags
and a picture of when he was shipping out.
So I showed it to him
said "tell me about those days"
When he looked inside
he closed his eyes all he could say was:

"I hear bagpipes cryin' Amazing Grace
Omaha Beach and her crashing waves.
Old Glory draped like Heaven's mercy
over the fallen sons.
I see all the heroes
who were willing to fight in the name of freedom
layin' down their lives.
And prayin' God's grace
would keep us safe from harm
until they brought us boys back home."

Those words to a boy that became a man
now I'm ankle deep in this Persian sand.
And every day I'm giving all I can
because I'm damn proud to be American
Yeah, I made some friends
and I've lost some too
When I think about what they gave for me and you

I hear bagpipes cryin' Amazing Grace
tears rolling down a mother's face.
Old Glory draped like Heaven's mercy
over the fallen sons.
I see all the heroes who are willing to fight
in the name of freedom layin' down their lives.
And prayin' God's grace
would keep us safe from harm
until they bring us boys back home

I hear bagpipes cryin' Amazing Grace,
tears rolling down a mother's face.
Old Glory draped like Heaven's mercy
over the fallen sons.
I see all the heroes
who are willing to fight in the name of freedom
layin' down their lives.
And prayin' God's grace would keep you safe from harm,
until they bring you boys back home
'till they bring you boys back home
till they bring you boys back home.


No comments: