Thursday, February 01, 2007

Gunz Up


Believe it or not we've had another contribution from yet another great blogger!! De'on from Gunz Up has sent us a donation! Thank you so much De'on! You know we've voted you a part of our group don't you? We just consider you our Marine Mom sister in New Mexico.

Be sure and read her posts from Marine Moms Online about "Why Does My Son Want To Be a Marine?". Here is some of part one. She has two up so far.

Why Does My Son Want to be A Marine?

The reasons why some young Americans have chosen to become
United States Marines


As told by their mothers, fathers, wives, and other loved ones


INTRODUCTION

Before our son was to leave for Marine Corps boot camp, I needed to learn why, Why, WHY was he choosing this at this most dangerous time, and of all the branches, why the Marine Corps? He cited a few reasons as “I need more discipline; my life needs to be put into perspective, I will be doing a lot of things I’ve always wanted to do,” none of which I was willing to accept as trade for the risks that I knew lie before him.

Discussions were held with our son for three years about his desire to join, but high school graduation arrived and so did his date for Marine Corps boot camp. We lost the battle. On August 21, 2006, off he went. Feeling lost and defeated, I turned to my ever-reliable confidants, the moms and friends of the support group, Marine Moms Online. Did I ever expect to get such an outpour of responses? Without a doubt, I knew they would come through for me. You see, I am speaking of son #2 who is following in his former Marine brother’s footsteps, so I was well aware and ready to reacquaint myself with the power of this group and the people who comprise it.

I would like to share a summary of stories and the reasons their sons and daughters shared with me, when I asked the group “Why?”

I compiled their replies as a keepsake for myself, but the words are so inspirational that they must be shared. As I read the close to 100 replies, I found myself sitting taller and taller in my computer chair, so tall I might as well have stood -- to salute each and every one of their Marines, and these parents as well, for raising children of such caliber. Ours are an elite breed of kids. They are young men and women who do not stand behind their flag, they stand in front of it, risking their lives, putting their parents’ emotions in peril along side of them, as they fight for what they believe in and are steadfast to protect the freedoms of not only their nation, but that of people in far away lands.

The following are excerpts, slightly modified, to fit into the context of this reporting. Names are removed, but the meanings run deep and clearly depict why a young American chooses to become A United States Marine. In reply to my posting stated as such:

Can anyone tell me why my son wants to be a Marine? I know about Honor, Courage, and Commitment. I know what the Recruiter promised. My son had other options, but said that first, He Must Become A Marine. He didn't share a lot about the whys, just that he had to do it, and is now in his 2nd week of boot camp. I would love to know why some kids chose to serve, and others wouldn't do it if their life depended on it. Can anyone share why they feel their son/daughter chose to become a United States Marine? Is it a "calling?” When does the pride overshadow the fears I have?

No comments: